A few interesting points about the Sioux County Fair:
- Fewer people go to the rodeo than the hog wrestling.
- The fair is held just outside Harrison, where one can see the glory of western Nebraska and the high plains all around.
- About half the county’s 1,300 people show up for the hog wrestling at its peak.
- Many attending participate in the Calcutta, buying the teams they think are most likely to win, and if their gamble comes through, can stand to walk away with several thousand dollars.
- The fair is one of the high points of life in this remote, tight-knit, geographically diverse county of residents.
As I shot at the fair, I marveled at the beauty of the land, light and people surrounding me, and resolved to show the interplay between those elements. I started with this photo, and more are to come.